Thursday, December 23, 2010

The secret of sound in UTOPOLIS

"Utopolis" cinema in Kirchberg has the acoustics studio-like. Very nice. I was impressed by the quality of sound when I heard the song "Talk to me" by Maxim Nucci included in the movie "Les petits mouchoirs" de Guillaume Canet (for Polish friends - Maxim Nucci pięknie nuci ;) !). Wow! That's why I did a little research how the "Utopolis" sound system works...

They have the THX technology: the "baffle wall" installed and good isolation of the cinema. What's this baffle wall? If you were to peel away the screen (well, I haven't tried it yet :p ), you will see a massive wall of speakers housed in an acoustic baffle (speaker system enclosure). The baffle wall is approximately the same size as the screen and this is to make panning shots and off-screen sounds more believable. Morover "Utopolis" features massive wall structures to separate the cinema from the outside distracting world and you feel cosy as in the nutshell.

Now I have a kind of audio-visual surprise for you. I saw and listened in "Utopolis" the absolutely amazing trailer. In fact every film there begins by this small advert of "Amazing life" in THX technology. Can't stop watching it... Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment